Friday, February 22, 2008

little things about my self

I was born in paradise.
At least, that’s how I felt about my homeland while I was growing up.
Indonesia is large country set like pearls in south East Asia. She is so breathtakingly beautiful that impossible not to see the hand of God in her lush, warmer climate, green valleys, thousand islands, hundreds steaming volcanos,and million other things unlisted .

I was born in kupang, timor.when I was 40 days old, my parents moved to a little tiny village called palopo, in province of south Sulawesi Islands.

In this new place, I grow up as a happy young girl. The world was the lovely landscape surrounding me, the kindness of my neighbord, and the deep love of my parents,(well, at least my mom.) In my village, young children walked many miles to and from school along lonely stretches of road, but parents never worried a child being in danger in anyway.

My biggest fear as a youngster was being hungry and not to be able to continue my education-other than that I was an extremely happy little girl. Living in a happy village where people respected and cared for one another.

Our house was perched on a hilltop overlooking a park and stadium where you can view helicopter landings in the morning and noon, or kids and adults played soccer in that park at the evenings. Some of my warmest childhood memories were playing in the rain, collecting coconuts to buy candy, bathe our buffalo at the lake not so far from our house and swim at the lake and felling the warm water on our skin.

When we got home from our swimming, my beautiful mother would be busy in kitchen preparing the hot sago or rice dish she feed us every day before packing us off to school.
Her energy never failed to astonish me: mom always was the first to rise and last to go to bed, getting up hours before anyone else to make sure the house was in order, our clothes were laid out, and breakfast for the whole family was prepared.
She made all our clothes her self, cut out hair, and brightened our house with her handmade decorations.

The rice she prepared for us were grown in our family fields, which mom tended every morning while the rest of us still sleeping. She checked the crops and would then distribute tools to the laborer and make sure that our buffalo and other animals were fed and watered. And then, after finishing the morning chores and getting us off to school, my mom would start her full time job at our family farm.

Both my parents were farmers which is a live with almost no education but they both believers that the only way out would have been to get an education.



to be continue....

No comments: